Located in the Borbore valley, the beautiful town is wedged between the Langhe, Alto Monferrato and Roero. The ancient ramparts are now pleasant tree-lined avenues from which to enjoy glimpses of the village and the landscape.
The chroniclers of the time document the origin of the municipality in 1275 when, during the invasion of Piedmont by Charles of Anjou, the people from Asti besieged and destroyed the castles of Gorzano, Castelnuovo, Lavezzole and Marcellengo, forcing the inhabitants of their villages to move to the new fortified settlement.
The plan is still that of the Roman Oppidum with a main road cut by 10 districts. San Damiano remained subject to Asti but with its own municipal government.